According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, bees and wasps are the most dangerous non-human animals in the United States. If you have a wasp nest in your backyard, your first instinct might be to grab a baseball bat and get rid of it before your children or pets are stung. However, before you risk getting stung, or even wind up in the hospital, there are better ways to deal with the wasp nest on your property. When it comes to avoiding angering the wasps and eventually getting rid of the nest, here are a few dos and don'ts to keep in mind:
Do Learn How to Identify a Wasp Nest
Not all nests are built the same, and it is important that you learn how to identify a wasp nest. The exterminator from a pest control company will ask which type of nest is found in your backyard, and being able to identify it will allow the pest control agent to grab the correct tools and products for the job.
Here are a few common insect nests you will find in your backyard, and how to identify them:
- Paper wasp – A paper wasp nest will feature several hexagonal sections, and appear as though it is constructed from paper. These nests will typically be small and located in a hidden area, such as your attic or even inside your mailbox.
- Hornets – A hornet's nest is often shaped like a football and will feature smooth sides. Hornets are almost always found outdoors.
- Bees -- Both honey bees and bumble bees construct nest with the classic honeycomb shape. Bees will construct nests in any spot that is hidden and provides a lot of protection, including inside your home.
Do Learn How to Treat a Wasp Sting
Even if the wasp nest on your property is left completely undisturbed, it is still possible for you, your kids or your pets to get stung. Remember, wasps are very aggressive and they can sting you multiple times. It is critical that you both learn how to treat a wasp sting, and learn the signs of a severe allergic reaction.
To treat a wasp sting, begin by removing the stinger, if it is still in you or your child's skin. This can be accomplished easily by scraping the affected area with a piece of hard plastic, such as your debit card, or with a fingernail.
Next, wash the site with soapy water and apply a cold compress.
If you or your child is allergic to wasp stings, it is important to seek medical attention, in the event of a severe reaction. However, even if no one in your family has suffered a reaction in the past doesn't mean they aren't now allergic to wasp stings.
After you or your loved one is stung, it is important to watch for signs of a severe allergic reaction, including:
- Trouble breathing
- Nausea and vomiting
- Increased heart rate
- Rash or itching
- Difficulty swallowing
If the individual displays any of these symptoms, don't hesitate to call 9-1-1 right away.
Don't Try to Get Rid of the Nest On Your Own
Finally, just because the wasp nest is relatively small doesn't mean it isn't filled with angry insects who are ready to protect their hive. This is why it is critical you do not attempt to remove the wasp nest on your own and instead, contact a professional for assistance.
A professional exterminator will have the tools, products and experience to safely and quickly get rid of the entire nest, and all of those nasty wasps.
Don't let a wasp nest in your home or backyard place your family at risk and instead, contact a professional to help you quickly and effortlessly take care of the problem.