Are you lucky enough to have a home that includes a great room? Do you have a separate dining room, or is your dining area part of your great room? Do you use the great room for entertainment purposes? Since you have the blessing of extra space, an eclectic design is a great choice. From establishing different focal areas to choosing a cast stone fireplace mantel, here are some ideas on how to create an eclectic design for your great room.
Make A Plan For Your Focus Areas -
- For example, have an area that will hold a game table.
- Establish an area for reading and visiting.
- Decide on where to put your entertainment center.
- Plan an area for dining, even if you already have a separate dining room.
As you plan your design, think about the way you live your life. For example, if you have children or grandchildren, you'll probably want to designate a portion of your great room for them to do things like playing board games or working on jigsaw puzzles.
Put The Plan On Paper -
- Using poster board, map out the areas you want to establish.
- Cut out colored construction paper to represent furniture. For example, cut a brown triangle that will represent a baby grand piano. A rectangular gray piece of construction paper might represent a fireplace mantel.
There might be a benefit to your making a mock room with pasteboard and construction paper that represents items that will be in your great room. You can move the construction paper models to make sure the design layout will work. It's a lot easier to move a tiny piece of paper than a heavy sofa.
Add Unique Pieces -
- Consider finding a cast stone fireplace mantel distributor. He or she will help you to find the exact right mantel for your great room.
- Find one-of-a-kind decorative pieces at places like antique shops and nurseries. For example, consider buying a bench swing for your reading area.
Since you are establishing an eclectic design, you have the fun of mixing furniture styles and decorative pieces. For example, if you have chosen a shabby chic black iron fireplace mantel, consider decorating the mantel with things you have bought as you have traveled to different places. Combine items that, though unique, still complement each other. A brass Aztec calendar paired with wooden candlesticks are just one example of how to decorate your cast stone fireplace mantel.